This hands-on course will guide you through the entire process, from understanding a stakeholder group to discovering a need to creating a solution to address it – whether it is a process, a service, a product, or an app.
During the three days you will do research, create insights, and prototype and test solutions. Along the way you’ll learn practical tools to take back to your work, including research methods, synthesis approaches, user journey mapping, rapid ideation, and experience prototyping techniques.
By the end of day 3, you will be ready to apply this knowledge to your own work and become an ambassador of fast-paced change inside your organization.
Lectures are spread throughout the three days and are immediately followed by direct hands-on applications, research and prototyping in the field, and individual and group coaching along the way. We will work according to a rapid design thinking process that puts the user at the center to create actionable, business-ready experience prototypes.
Over the course of three days, we will introduce you to fast, effective, and broadly applicable tools and techniques for prototyping digital, physical, and hybrid service concepts. Our focus is on nuanced applications specific to CIID's design practice in Copenhagen with an emphasis on techniques for practical innovation, all applied through learning by doing.
- Intercept Interviews: Tips and techniques for spontaneous, in-context, field research.
- In-depth Interviews: Templates and structures for gaining deep user insights.
- Research Synthesis: How to make sense of field research through clustering techniques.
- User Journey Mapping: Identifying pain points and highlights in an existing service.
- Insight generation: Techniques for distilling large amounts of data and complex information into actionable insights.
- Opportunity finding: How to formulate designable questions from research-backed insights.
- Rapid ideation: Tools for generating large quantities of ideas and refining them.
- Concept mapping: Tools for developing rough ideas into a detailed and actionable concept.
- Co-creation: A powerful way to get input and buy-in from end users by involving them in the design process directly.
- Experience Prototyping: Techniques for creating and testing immersive prototypes ready for further development. Guidelines for iteration and optimal fidelity levels for rapid field testing.
Preparation & Research
AM: Introduction to design thinking; field research tools & techniques
PM: Field research in the city; download; user journey mapping
Synthesis & Concepts
AM: Field research analysis, insights, opportunities
PM: Ideation, concept development, prototyping
Testing & Takeaways
AM: Testing; advanced experience prototyping; iteration
PM: Introducing design thinking into your work environment; change management; team presentations